The ability to get things done through working with others is essential in virtually all types of work. There may often many occasions when you need to engage the help of people over whom you have no formal authority. You may be in the business of persuading individuals or groups to lend support to an idea or a project. Perhaps you need to convince some of a point of view or encourage them to work in a different way. These problems are not only encountered by managers, but by anyone who need to achieve results with the help of others.
Everyone is different and therefore what works when communicating with one person, often does not work for others. Some people just seem easy to work with whilst others you may find highly challenging.
We specialise is helping people to learn how to be more influential and work more effectively with others.
We have run numerous in-house courses on many different aspects of influencing. The comments below are from participants on Influencing Skills courses we have run with one of our major clients Air Products:
- “All of it was really relevant – very happy with the content.”
- “Excellent interactive course. Very useful.”
- “Excellent facilitator. Very knowledgeable. Practised what she preached.”
All courses are designed to meet specific needs. However, the example course description below will give you a good idea of what can be achieved.
Two Day Workshop
Sometimes you may have found it difficult to encourage someone to see your point of view. Perhaps there are people with whom you do not find it easy communicate – yet your job demands that you work with them. In many instances you may need to gain the co-operation of others over whom you have no authority. All these are situations where influencing skills are essential to achieve a positive result. This programme will introduce you to very practical ideas and skills that will help you work more effectively with others and achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
What Will You Learn?
Objectives: By the end of the workshop you will be able to:-
- Build and maintain rapport effectively with individuals and groups
- More easily achieve a common understanding in potentially difficult situations
- Use your listening skills to identify what motivates different people
- Respond to people in ways that make it easy for them to understand your views
Specifically you will learn how to:
- Really listen to the views of others – and demonstrate that you have done so
- Encourage others to listen to your point of view
- Work towards outcomes that benefit both parties
- Be flexible in your own style of communicating
- Build rapport in one-to-one and group situations
- Listen to language in order to identify what is motivating others
- Phrase your written and spoken language for maximum impact
- Overcome resistance in individuals and groups
- Plan ahead for important situations in which you need to influence
- Think in ways that maximise your chances of success in communicating
How Will You Learn?
There will be a combination of inputs and demonstrations with plenty of opportunity for you to practise the skills.
Pre-Course Preparation – In advance of the training you will be asked to identify the typical situations in which you need to influence others and also your own learning objectives.
What are the benefits of learning these skills?
You will be able to listen more easily to others and encourage them to listen to you. The skills learnt will give you confidence to cope with potentially difficult circumstances. You will be able to apply your skills in numerous everyday situations where you need to gain the co-operation of others to achieve positive results.
Click here to download PDF